5.17.2013

Beach Bum

Being a Philly girl, as soon as I wake up on one of the first warm sunny days in May, I crave sand and waves. So part of my official bumming around holiday needed a day at a beach. Sadly, many Japanese beaches are rocky and not sandy. Luckily, after a little research, we found one only 25 minutes away.

So we hopped a train and hit up Shin-Maiko Beach in Chita. It's an artificial beach with imported sand from Nagasaki, which is strange to me considering there is another sandy beach only a few miles down the pennisula form it, but... It was plenty of beachiness for me!

For people in Nagoya, here's some info on it. It's on the Meitetsu line at ShinMaiko station. It's just a 10 minutes walk over a bridge. There are nicer beaches in the area, but this is super convenient.


So, since it was actually a bay there weren't many waves. It was a pretty small beach, but for laying out, playing volleyball, picnicking, badminton or a little swim, it was perfect for being only 25 minutes away. There was a rest area, a playground, grass, volleyball courts, and a snack bar with ice cream, snow cones and Japanese style snacks. I did miss having a boardwalk and arcade right behind me, though. And I definitely missed beach fries and cotton candy when I was eating yakitori chicken skewers (though they were preeetty yummy, too.)

There were two big windmills on the beach, which was interesting, but cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment